Easy Vegan Waffle Sandwich
Sometimes I just crave a yummy breakfast sandwich. Something that’s both savoury and sweet- perfect for a Sunday brunch at home with my hubby. I wanted to make a play on chicken and waffles – but obviously plant-based.
I decided to experiment in the kitchen the other day and came up with this. It is the perfect amount of savoury, sweet, and crunchy. I was surprised at how yummy it turned out so I had to share the recipe with you.
I started by making these crispy baked onion rings by Oh She Glows. These are so delcious on their own, I’ve made them many, many times. They are what adds the crunch to the sanwhich.
I decided to use waffles for the sandwich instead of bread. I used these flax waffles, from a brand called Nature’s Path – which I really love. The waffles are vegan and come in all sorts of flavours, with great ingredients. They were the perfect thing to hold this sandwich together, and added the perfect bit of slight sweetness to the flavour profile.
Okay, I think I’ve chatted enough – here is the recipe:
Ingredients (makes two breakfast sandwiches):
· 4 waffles
· ½ cup arugula
· 1 batch of Oh She Glows Crispy Baked Onion Rings
· 1 tomato sliced
· 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
· 1 tablespoon maple syrup
· 1 tablespoon sriracha
1. Place your waffles in the oven according to package instructions to bake
2. Mix the vegan mayo, maple syrup, and sriracha in a bowl to create the sauce for the sandwich
3. Once the waffles are cooked, it is now time to assemble the sandwich
4. Place 1 tablespoon of the sauce on one of the waffles and layer with the onion rings, sliced tomato, arugula, and a little more of the sauce. Place the other waffle on top. Repeat for the second sandwich.
It’s that easy!
Hope you enjoy.